What is it?
Walking may be one of the simplest forms of physical activity, but it is a mighty one. Adding a short walk to your day is the perfect way to start increasing your activity levels.
Why you should walk
The benefits of walking include:
- Refreshes the mind, reduces fatigue and increases energy
- Helps to control diabetes and reduce the risk of chronic disease, heart disease and stroke
- Strengthens bones and helps prevent, and control osteoporosis
- Relieves stress and tension
- Helps to maintain a healthy weight, especially when you combine it with healthy eating
- It’s fun, social and a great way to spend time with family and friends
Who is it for?
Anybody can enjoy the benefits of walking, no matter what their age. This means you can bring a friend, even the furry kind.
Where to go
The best part of walking is that it can be done anywhere. You can get out and explore your neighbourhood or venture a little further and test out some community walking trails. Winter won’t stop you either! Take advantage of treadmills and walking tracks at recreation facilities or meet up with your local mall walking club to get some steps in.
What you’ll need
The best part of walking is that it requires minimal equipment. Strap on a comfortable pair of shoes and some weather appropriate clothes, and you are ready to go.
Want to track your progress? Pedometers are an excellent form of encouragement while working on becoming more active. These tools range from simple step counters to high tech health watches, and even most smartphones log your steps now. Remember to set small weekly goals; every step counts!